Defending Against Larceny Or Theft Charges
In Michigan, larceny is the official term for theft, and it can carry significant penalties. Whether you have been accused of taking an article of clothing from a department store or driving off with someone else’s vehicle, it is wise to get a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney on your side as soon as possible. Even if someone else stole the property and you are simply found with it in your possession, you could be in danger.
Turn to the Westland law firm of Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. Our attorneys have handled hundreds of criminal cases and have several decades of experience defending individuals like you. They are ready to listen to your story and help develop the strongest defense possible under the facts of your case.
We handle all types of larceny and theft charges, including:
- Shoplifting/retail theft
- Switching price tags/retail fraud
- Auto theft/carjacking
- Identity theft
- Credit card or check
Are You Facing Misdemeanor Or Felony Penalties?
In general, the severity of the consequences will depend on the value of the stolen goods. If you are convicted, you will be in danger of the following penalties:
- Goods worth less than $200 = Up to 93 days in jail and up to $500 in fines. These are considered misdemeanor offenses in Michigan.
- Goods worth between $200 and $1,000 = Up to one year in jail and up to $2,000 in fines. These are misdemeanor offenses.
- Goods worth between $1,000 and $20,000 = Up to five years of prison time and up to $10,000 in fines. These are felony offenses.
- Goods worth more than $20,000 = Up to 10 years of prison time and up to $15,000 in fines. These are felony offenses.
Let Our Attorneys Start Working On Your Behalf Today
At Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C., we know your rights under both state and federal law, and we know the defenses against theft crime charges. Let us get started working on your case today. Simply call our Westland office at 877-354-0660 or email us today for a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers.