Choose The Firm That Fits Your Needs

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Parenting Time

Westland Parenting Time Lawyer

Livonia Visitation Attorney

Parenting time, visitation and physical custody are all terms that refer to when and how much time a child spends with each parent. If you are going through a divorce, paternity proceeding or any other proceeding involving your child(ren), or want to modify an existing parenting time or visitation schedule, it is wise to seek the advice of an experienced parenting time attorney.

At Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C., we have a breadth of experience guiding clients through the process and disputes surrounding custody and parenting time. Since 1994, we have become adept at diffusing adversarial disputes and helping parents come to an agreement regarding visitation and parenting time that is best for all parties involved.

Most often, the court will begin by examining what the parties have done in the past with regard to visitation. Many times, the answer to this question will be based upon the parents’ work schedules, their desires, and what the child needs for his or her growth and development. If there is an existing order, the court then must be satisfied that there has been a change in circumstances that warrants a change in the parenting time schedule. The court will then look at different factors in order to help parents develop a truly customized parenting plan that is in the best interests of the child or children.

Modification And The 100-Mile Rule

Many times, events happen that alter the way a parent has to live his or her life. Drastic changes in income, the needs of the child, and/or a job relocation are all factors that could necessitate re-examining the original divorce judgment. Often, changing the aspects of a custody agreement is such a big task that it is more important to have a detailed understanding of the parenting time schedule. Minor modifications to this schedule might be easier to accomplish.

In terms of changes in domicile or relocation, the courts follow the 100-mile rule. If the new home will be more than 100 miles away from the old home, the court must agree to the modification before relocation with the children is possible.

Contact A Michigan Child Custody Lawyer

If you have questions regarding parenting time, call 877-354-0660 or contact the office of Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C., to schedule a free initial consultation. We accept all major credit cards as payment for services.