Choose The Firm That Fits Your Needs

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Estate Planning
  4.  » Medical Power Of Attorney

Durable Power Of Attorney For Health Care

Do you have a plan in place in case you should ever be unable to make medical decisions for yourself? What would happen if a car accident left you in a coma or Alzheimer’s affected your reasoning? Who would interact with your doctors and tell them how to proceed?

At the Westland law firm of Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C., our estate law attorneys are here to help you answer these questions and craft a secure plan for your future health care needs. One of the best ways to do this is to create a durable power of attorney for health care. (In other states, it is sometimes called a medical power of attorney, a health care proxy or a living will.)

Who Will Make The Decisions?

You will choose someone you want to grant authority to make medical decisions on your behalf, should you become incapacitated. This person is called your patient advocate.

What Will My Patient Advocate Be Able To Do?

Under Michigan law, a durable power of attorney for health care can serve many purposes. You can give your patient advocate the ability to make any and all choices for you, or you can limit his or her power. You might decide to give him or her the ability to decide:

  • Which physician should treat you
  • What types of medical treatment you should receive
  • What types of tests can be performed on you
  • Whether you should be placed in a nursing home or kept in your own home
  • Whether you should be kept alive on life support
  • Whether you should continue receiving food and water if you are in a permanent coma
  • Whether doctors should attempt to resuscitate you
  • Whether your organs should be donated after your death

You can also specify other wishes in the durable power of attorney for health care. One thing to note, however, is that this document only gives your patient advocate the right to make medical decisions. If you want to designate someone to handle all your financial affairs, you will need a power of attorney for finances.

Learn More In A Free Consultation With A Lawyer

To learn more about creating a customized document that works for you, call Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C., to schedule a free initial consultation: 877-354-0660. You can also reach our Westland office online.